Saturday, April 10, 2010

When You're Strange 4-9-10

April 10, 2010

Last night, I went to see the much anticipated Doors documentary, When You're Strange. Beautifully directed (Tom DiCillo) and narrated (Johnny Depp), this film is a look at the Doors and the 60s. It contains incredible behind the scenes & concert footage along with clips from a film that Jim Morrison made with Paul Ferrara, Frank Lisciandro and Babe Hill in 1969. Like many Doors fans, I've seen grainy footage of HWY: AN American Pastoral online. But, the footage from HWY used in this film completely floored me- it was worth the price of admittance alone! The best part? No actors! The Doors- Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger, play themselves!

I received a Light My Fire 45 on the way into the movie:



The audience was treated to a very special surprise! John Densmore came out to talk about the film and to tell a story about the Doors song by the same name- When You're Strange. The video I took is here:



Afterwards, I headed over to Barney's Beanery to continue the Doors celebration! In honor of Jim, I sat at the bar and had a beer and a shot of Jack.



To find out where this movie is playing near you, check out the website: http://whenyourestrangemovie.com/